The Foodbank of Santa Barbara County is committed to exemplifying Community Leadership, by bringing members of our community into our organization and giving them significant responsibility and involvement in running programs, task forces and work groups. By doing so, we can scale our activities to a degree sufficient to end hunger and transform the health of the community through good nutrition.
JOB TITLE Director of Community Engagement
Reports to: Director of Operations / CEO
Status: Full-time, salaried, exempt
Location: Santa Barbara County (Santa Barbara and Santa Maria)
The Director of Community Engagement is responsible for the sourcing, fielding, placing and retention of human talent for the Foodbank by working with all departments in the organization, and a team of Volunteer Coordinators. This candidate will work to enable the organization’s growing volunteer program, incorporating volunteer engagement as a core strategic function in order to accomplish the Foodbank’s mission; and nurture a greater connection to the organization. Responsibilities include identifying work throughout the organization that can be accomplished by volunteers, and promoting their services, actively recruiting individuals who can assist in the warehouse, teach programs, and work on various community educational and fundraising projects.
III. PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Planning, Organization and Development – Develop and implement a strategy and infrastructure for mission-driven volunteer engagement.
- Develop and implement goals and objectives for the volunteer program.
- Assess opportunities and need for volunteers to enhance program delivery and administrative services.
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of the program and services delivered by volunteers, recommending and implementing improvements as identified and/or necessary.
- Develop, administer and review policies and procedures which guide the volunteer program.
- Write volunteer position descriptions in consultation with appropriate staff members.
- Identify and recruit ‘knowledge philanthropist’s (Subject matter experts who can help with specific projects)
- Assisting in identifying volunteers and partnering with other internal and external groups to train volunteers for Disaster Relief.
- Community and Leadership Support and Engagement – Cultivate and demonstrate community interest and commitment to volunteer engagement.
- Promote the volunteer program to gain community and organizational support.
- Develop and implement effective strategies to recruit and retain qualified volunteers with the appropriate abilities and aptitudes.; conduct outreach and volunteer recruitment to sustain and grow volunteers participation
- Make a major focus on corporate volunteerism and team building opportunities.
- Identify and engage ‘advocates’ who can promote the work of the Foodbank in the community.
- Work with the program department to engage NOVA (nutrition outreach volunteers) to provide nutrition back up for Foodbank programs.
- Tracking and Evaluation – Track the activity, outputs and outcomes of volunteer contributions, and monitor the quality of the volunteer experience.
- Manage organizational use of Volunteer Hub, including sign-ups, scheduling and records; review and improve volunteer demographics, culture and infrastructure that results in high quality, committed volunteers
- Establish and implement a process for evaluating the contributions of individual volunteers and the effectiveness of each position in serving organizational goals.
- Effective Onboarding and Training – Train volunteers and staff on their respective roles.
- Develop and implement application, interview and onboarding protocols for potential volunteers to achieve the best match between the sills, qualifications and interests of the volunteers and the needs of the organization.
- Extending Reach and partnerships – Cultivate mutually beneficial relationships with the community to increase engagement and reach.
- Cultivate interest from, and provide opportunities for new volunteers from the community not already engaged with the Foodbank.
- Build a network of nutrition outreach volunteers in tandem with the “train-the-trainer” model to support all Foodbank programs and food literacy activities.
- Send countywide monthly volunteer e-news, maintain volunteer web page and maintain volunteerism presence on social media.
- Oversee, refine and expand community food drives (bi-annual Letter Carrier, Scouting for Food, Holiday Season, etc.)
- Represent the Foodbank in the community at recruitment events and lead volunteer appreciation initiatives including events and recognition.
- Actively cultivate volunteers as potential donors of both time and funds. Funds can be generated on many levels – tabling, corporate volunteerism, through VolunteerHub, food/funds drives, and by reaching out to the seniors in our volunteer base to allow the development department the opportunity to discuss planned giving.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education
- At least three (3) years demonstrated experience in the areas of project management, supervision, administration, event planning and building relationships.
- Knowledge and experience of volunteer recruitment practices; knowledge of HR practices a plus
- Direct report management of 3 or more personnel
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to meet deadlines while managing multiple tasks and requests; willingness to work varied hours including evenings and weekends as needed.
- Proficient and effective in written and verbal communication skills, including presentations to groups as well as engaging with individuals one-on-one
- Creative, out-of-the-box thinking. Novel ways to engage/recognize volunteers and engage corporate volunteers.
- Ability to work in a team and across departments in an organization
- Proficient with the Microsoft Suite Software, email, and Social Media
- Graphic Design experience
- Able to lift 30 lbs.
The Foodbank of Santa Barbara County embraces a philosophy that recognizes and values diversity. Our goal is to attract, develop, retain and promote a talented diverse workforce in a culture where all employees will contribute to their fullest potential.
Interested candidates, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com