FOR INFO ABOUT FOOD and POWER OUTAGES, click here: PowerShutoffFactSheet
Managing stress and maintaining wellness are important parts of staying healthy at this unprecedented time.
- Prevent the Spread of COVID-19: Here are few quick tips to prevent transmitting COVID-19!
- At-home workouts: A great way to de-stress and get your body moving, and the best part is that you can do these workouts in the comfort of your own home. Many yoga and fitness gyms are providing free online classes through Instagram LIVE, Youtube, or through training apps, including Corepower Yoga, Barry’s Bootcamp and the Nike Training app. For exercise motivation, read our blog post here.
- Water Intake: Water works to remove toxins from the body that negatively impact the immune system, so make sure you are drinking enough water. Try and aim for eight glasses a day!
Food and Cooking
- Guide to Recommended Foods: Check out this guide to grocery shopping and stocking up created by our very own nutritional biologist, Lacey Baldiviez, PhD. It will help you grocery shop less frequently while maintaining a nutritious diet to keep you healthy.
- Food Safety Information: Wondering about how to ensure your food is clean and safe? We made a quick informational sheet based on information provided by the CDC.
- How To Safely Unpack Your Groceries: Here’s a quick guide on washing veggies and handling groceries in a way that limits potential exposure to coronavirus.
- Foodbank Recipes: We have a huge supply of tasty healthy recipes and fun ways to use Foodbank food!
- Food Substitutions: Avoid making that extra trip to the store by using creative and delicious food substitutions!
- Nutrition Podcasts and Presentations: Listen to our podcasts by professional nutritionists about maintaining healthy digestion, maximizing the health effects of your everyday veggies, and fiber: the one true super food!
- Meal Prep Help: It’s easy to get lazy and opt for a microwaveable meal instead of cooking. Here are some tips from our Nutrition blog on how to make planning and cooking faster, simpler and more cost-efficient.
- Prevent Food Waste: Is the bulk food you purchased starting to go bad? Read about how you can prevent food waste and get creative with leftovers!
- Calfresh: If you receive Calfresh, you may be eligible to receive extra Calfresh benefits on your EBT card during April and May to help during the COVID-19 pandemic. If you are not receiving Calfresh benefits, you can go to GetCalFresh.org to see if you qualify. Foodbank staff members can help you get registered!
- Pandemic EBT: Due to coronavirus (COVID 19), children who are eligible for free or reduced-price meals at school will get extra food benefits. These food benefits are called Pandemic EBT or P-EBT benefits. P-EBT benefits help families in California buy food when school is closed.
- Santa Barbara County Resources: For more information about the financial resources available in Santa Barbara County, go to needhelppayingbills.com.
- Tax Resources: Coronavirus Tax Relief for Taxpayers, Businesses, and Other Affected by the Coronavirus – The IRS has established a special section focused on steps to help taxpayers, businesses, and others affected by the coronavirus. The page will be updated as new information is available.
- Oprah and Deepak 21-Day Meditation Experience: Oprah and Deepak are offering their 21-day meditation program, “Hope in Uncertain Times”, for free on their app. Download the app and de-stress with meditation.
- Walks in Nature: Find a path close to your house and try to make a habit of going for at least one walk a day. This break from technology in the fresh air will help with stress and feeling cooped-up at home.
- Maintain a regular sleep schedule: Even though WFH means that you’ve lost some structure to your day, maintaining a regular sleep schedule can help days and nights feel more structured. A comfortable routine does wonders for stress and anxiety!
- Xfinity Wifi Free For Everyone – Xfinity WiFi hotspots located in businesses and outdoor locations across the country will be available to anyone who needs them for free — including non-Xfinity Internet subscribers. For a map of Xfinity WiFi hotspots: Visit www.xfinity.com/wifi. Once at a hotspot, select “Xfinitywifi” network name in the list of available networks, then launch a browser.
- Santa Barbara Restaurants – Pick-up and Delivery
- Santa Barbara County 211 – Connecting People to Health & Human Services information. Includes housing, utilities, food, mental wellness services, and more.
- Grab-and-Go Breakfast and Lunch to Students – Available from the Santa Barbara Unified School District.
- SoCalGas’ CARE Program can help during these challenging times. If you’re recently unemployed or currently facing financial hardship due to the coronavirus pandemic or for other reasons, you may now be eligible to save 20% on your natural gas bill.
- Domestic Violence Solutions: For the Santa Barbara County domestic violence hotline, call (805) 964-5245 or go to dvsolutions.org
- Santa Barbara Police Department: General line is (805) 897-2300. In the case of an emergency, call 911.
Resources for Children
- Understanding COVID-19: Here is a simple, easy-to-understand slideshow to help children understand what’s going on.
- Foodbank Coloring Book: Coming soon! Fun, nutrition-themed coloring book for adults and kids to relax, and learn some fun facts!
Pets During COVID-19
- Pet Care: C.A.R.E.4Paws is increasing its support for low-income, senior, disabled and homeless Santa Barbara County residents to ensure their animals can stay with them during the coronavirus emergency. Visit care4paws.org or contact the organization at email@example.com or 805-968-2273.
- Santa Barbara County Animal Services: All shelter locations remain open by appointment or via phone. In person services include: adoptions, shelter intakes, and return to owner of animals already in the care of the shelter. Call Santa Barbara at (805) 681-5285, Lompoc at (805) 737-7755, or Santa Maria at (805) 934-6119.
- Advanced Veterinary Specialists: 24-hour emergency and specialty hospital – AVS has instituted curbside service for pets to comply with social distancing guidelines. Visit avsforpets.com for more information.